Robert Scott's course in Geophysical Fluid Dynamics for Masters level 1 students at UBO:
Winter 2011 (more recent versions of this class are available!)
MatLab scripts developed for research.
... back to my homepage ... ;
- Lesson 1
- Lesson 2
- Lesson 3
- Lesson 4 with answers to Assignment 1
- Lesson 5
- Lesson 6 with answers to Assignment 2
- Lesson 7
- Lesson 8
- Assignment 3 Questions and Answers
- Lesson 9
- Lesson 10
- Assignment 4 Questions
- Assignment 4 Questions & Answers
- Lesson 11
- Lesson 12
- Lesson 13: Review Monday February 21 has been canceled due to illness. Review is postponed until Wednesday Feb 23, and exame postponed until March 7. Sorry for inconvenience.
- Lesson 13: Review Wednesday February 23: Please come prepared with questions regarding material up to this point.
- Spring Breat February 28 to March 4
- Lesson : March 7 Mid-term exam worth 25% of total mark. The solutions are now available here.
- Lesson 14: March 9, Barotropic Kelvin and Poincare waves.
- Lesson 15: March 14, Barotropic Rossby waves -- intro to QG.
- Lesson 16: March 16, Stratification: Froude and Burger numbers. Intro to stratified QG.
- Lesson 17: March 21, Stratified QG continued ....
- Lesson 18: March 23, Outline of derivation of QG PV equation, then QG Energetics.
- Lesson 19: March 28, Review of linear waves, then Baroclinic modes, two-mode model, Baroclinic instability.
- Lesson 20: March 30, Review of entire course, especially since Midterm.
- Final written exam:
MatLab scripts GFD 1 students
Simple tutorial on what is NaN = "not a number" in MatLab.
Using nanmean.m when averaging arrays containing NaN.
When plotting the locations of things on the world map, I'd like you to include the outline of the continents, as demonstrated in class of Lesson 9. You'll need the basemap.m script and also the basemap.mat file.
Solutions to Assignment 2 in this answers_assign2_questions_678and9.m
Solutions to Assignment 3 in this answers_assign3_questions_2.m
Solutions to Assignment 4 question 3 excel script