Ariane results are used in your publication(s),
feel free to reference Ariane and to send us
your publication references (thanks).
What is Ariane
Ariane is a computational tool (Fortran 90/95) that is dedicated to
the offline calculation of 3D streamlines in the output velocity field of
an Ocean General Circulation Model (OGCM) such as
OPA-NEMO, ROMS, Symphonie and any ocean model whose equations are based on volume conservation.
Water mass or current transports are calculated from the displacement of multiple, numerical water particles.
The algorithm is fast and accurate since it is based on analytical calculations.
Each trajectory segment respects locally the continuity equation and the method allows backward integration of trajectories.
The Ariane application, which is freely put at the whole scientific community's disposal, is developped with a view to being easy to use, and for the sake of high performance and portanility.
References and publications
Screenshots - animations
What can Ariane do for you?
Some screenshots and animations are available to illustrate Ariane capabilities. More
- April 2010: Ariane-v2.2.6
- large Netcdf files (> 2 Gigabytes)
- A new tool to test consistency between data and mask
- OPA/NEMO: possibility to impose sea surface vertical velocity
- and a lot of little things to improve the application
- December 2009: Ariane-v2.2.2 and newer
- support B grib models (tested with MOM)
- November 2008:
- A friendly and online tool to create "easely" your Ariane namelist:
Please click here.
- Some improvement and corrections of the Ariane-v2.2.0.
- And some corrections in the documentation "How to write an Ariane namelist file?".
- September 2008: Ariane-v2.2.0
- This is the official version of Ariane.
- A tutorial is available and the other documentations have been updated.
- June 2007: Ariane-v2.1.8
- CeCILL license.
- Ariane outputs are in Netcdf format (the old format is always available also).
- Beta version because documentation (user's guide) is not yet available!
- April 2007:
- Ariane source code is always free, but now you have to be
registred to access downloads.
- A screenshots - animations page is
available. Please feel free to send us
your lagrangian diagnostics using Ariane to complete this page.
- February 2007: Ariane-v2.1.7
(beta version)- Can read "sequentially" velocity and tracer input data
from netcdf files, reducing virtual memory needed for high resolution
model outputs. (Documentation is not yet available, but will come soon
- January 2006: Ariane-v1.3.0
- Reads ROMS input data (and always OPA) - Memory reduction - New
"namelist" format and its documentation.
- More ...
- Please subscribe to the
to have access to news, support and help.
- This is also for us the mean to evaluate the popularity of this
product, who use it and what for.
- More ...
Access is always free, but now you have to give us your email adress to
- Tutorial (html, pdf).
- Compilation and Installation Notes (html, pdf).
- How to write an Ariane namelist file? (html, pdf).
- How to reference Ariane in your publications.
- More ...
Last modifications - March 2011